McInroy & Wood
Investment Philosophy & Method
Our investment philosophy is directed primarily towards the preservation of the purchasing power of our clients' capital. Accordingly, our priority is to establish a sound strategical framework for the portfolios we manage, evaluating continually the relative merits of equities and fixed interest stocks as well as the attractions of different international markets.
We aim to achieve for clients the best total return consistent with the avoidance of undue risk, balancing capital and income requirements. In seeking to do so:
- we invest internationally, usually by buying direct investments overseas which would be difficult for most private clients to do on their own.
- we adopt a disciplined approach and align each portfolio, so far as practicable, with a model disposition which reflects our current policy and the client's particular requirements.
- we draw on a worldwide range of inputs from fund managers, brokers and banks, most of whom we have known for many years.
- we keep in close touch with companies in which we invest. Above all we try to identify high quality management in the belief that good people will, over time, achieve the best returns.
- we pay close attention to both the income and the capital gain components of total return in assessing the relative merits of investments and so hope to avoid the extremes of market fashion.